Roast Spatchcocked Turkey
IngredientsServes 8 to 10
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon coarse salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 whole fresh turkey (about 12 pounds)
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Stir together oil, salt, and pepper in a small bowl.
- Rinse inside and outside of turkey; pat dry with paper towels. Spatchcock turkey (see our how-to). Transfer to a rimmed baking sheet, breast side up. Let stand for 30 minutes.
- Brush or rub turkey all over with oil mixture. Roast, rotating sheet halfway through and basting twice, until an instant-read thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the thigh reaches 165 degrees, about 1 hour and 10 minutes. Let stand for 20 minutes before carving (see our how-to).