September 6, 2010

CHICKEN FRIED STEAK, GRAVY, and BISCUIT RECIPE

Printed from COOKS.COM

TO PREPARE THE STEAK:
Use 2 pound round steak, 1/2 to 3/4 inch thick. Ask butcher to tenderize or pound it thoroughly on both sides with meat-tenderizing mallet. Trim off fat. Cut into pieces 5 to 6 inches in diameter. Flour each piece thoroughly and shake off excess. Dip in Chicken Fried Steak Batter (see below for recipe), drain, then flour it again. Use deep fry pan half-filled with a good brand of vegetable oil. Preheat oil to 325 degrees. Cook meat 7 to 10 minutes or until golden brown.
 
 
TO PREPARE CHICKEN FRIED STEAK BATTER:
2 tbsp. sugar
1/2 tsp. salt
2 eggs
1 tbsp. baking powder
1 c. milk
Mix the first four ingredients with half the milk and stir until smooth. Add remainder of milk and mix well.
 
 
TO PREPARE THE GRAVY:
In pan where you fried the steak, gradually add one cup of flour and approximately 1/2 stick of butter. Slowly add up to 8 cups milk, stirring constantly until desired thickness is obtained. Remove from heat and add salt and pepper to taste. Serve Chicken Fried Steak with mashed potatoes and biscuits.
 
 
BISCUIT RECIPE:
2 c. flour
1 tsp. salt
3 tsp. baking powder
5 tbsp. butter
3/4 c. milk
Sift all dry ingredients into a bowl. Cut in butter until mixture looks like coarse cornmeal. Add milk and mix well. Knead dough, roll and cut. Bake at 425 degrees for 12 to 15 minutes.
 
 
 
I made this with cube steaks. The batter is the first one I have had success with staying on during the frying process.  I also made the biscuits as "drop" instead of "roll and cut". DELISH!

1 comment:

  1. Oh my goodness this sounds so good. I am going to save it for after the move! This will make a great Sunday dinner!
    Wendy

    ReplyDelete

I love comments and feedback :)
it makes me feel HAPPY!
I do not like SPAM so don't waste your's or my time :(

Pin It

FRIENDS and FAMILY

This widget will be deleted SOON. please see new followers button ABOVE

Words of Faith

"O Lord, you are my God; I will exalt you and praise your name, for in perfect faithfulness you have done marvelous things, things planned long ago." Isaiah 25:1

"Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life?" -Matthew 6:27

"So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand." Isaiah 41:10

"Those who sow in tears will reap with songs of joy." Psalm 126:5