August 7, 2009

CINNAMON SWEET PICKLES (GERMAN)

CINNAMON SWEET PICKLES (GERMAN)
2 c. pickling lime
3 c. cider vinegar
1 tbsp. alum
1 sm. bottle red or green food coloring
8 c. sugar
10 c. cinnamon sticks
15 oz. cinnamon red hot candy
DAY 1:
Peel, seed and slice cucumbers, Wash in cold water. Place in large kettle. Add 2 cups lime and 8 quarts cold water. Let sit 24 hours.
DAY 2:
1. Drain and wash all lime off pickles, using cold water. Put back in kettle and cover with cold water, soaking 3 hours.

2. Drain. Add mixture of 1 cup vinegar, alum, food coloring (to degree of color desired) and enough water to cover cucumbers. Simmer 2 hours. Drain and set aside.

3. In 4 quart saucepan, make syrup from 2 cups vinegar, 2 cups water, 8 cups of sugar, cinnamon sticks and red hot candy. Bring to a boil until all is dissolved.

4. Strain syrup over cucumbers. Leave in cinnamon. Discard undissolved candy. Let sit overnight, covered.

DAY 3:
Drain syrup into saucepan. Reheat to boiling. Pour back over cucumbers. Let sit overnight again, covered.
DAY 4:
Repeat day 3.
DAY 5:
Reheat syrup and cucumbers in kettle to boiling. Remove cinnamon. Pack into sterilized jars and seal. Let jars sit 2 weeks before using. Makes 4 to 5 quarts.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments and feedback :)
it makes me feel HAPPY!
I do not like SPAM so don't waste your's or my time :(

Pin It

FRIENDS and FAMILY

This widget will be deleted SOON. please see new followers button ABOVE

Words of Faith

"O Lord, you are my God; I will exalt you and praise your name, for in perfect faithfulness you have done marvelous things, things planned long ago." Isaiah 25:1

"Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life?" -Matthew 6:27

"So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand." Isaiah 41:10

"Those who sow in tears will reap with songs of joy." Psalm 126:5